Join our team
At Project Equity, we re-envision community economic development to shift control locally and build economic resiliency in low-income communities. We envision a future where business decisions are made through a lens of what is good for workers and communities, leading to businesses that are more successful, communities that are more resilient, and workers who have stable jobs and economic security. Our mission is to foster economic resiliency with low-income communities by demonstrating and replicating strategies that increase worker ownership. Our clients are unique local businesses (most with 25-50 employees, but increasingly larger companies as well) that are assessing or implementing transitions to broad-based employee ownership (e.g. worker cooperatives, democratic ESOPs or other forms of employee or stakeholder ownership). Project Equity’s current programs are:
- BUSINESS OUTREACH AND EDUCATION: we raise awareness and educate business owners and community leaders through professional marketing and PR strategies and by partnering with municipal economic development staff, small businesses networks, and professional service providers such as CPAs, M&A advisors, and exit planners.
- BUSINESS TRANSITION PROGRAM: we help businesses convert to employee ownership through our Business Transition Program in three distinct phases: feasibility assessment; employee ownership design, preparation and transaction; and “Thrive,” our post-conversion support for new employee-owners, which emphasizes board and leadership development, and individual asset building. Our custom service package includes hands on training as well as technical assistance.
- REGIONAL EXPANSION: we are creating repeatable processes for our Business Outreach and Business Transition programs and adapting them with regional partners around the country, with strategic partnerships in the Twin Cities and Western North Carolina, outreach partnerships in three other cities, and other regional expansion efforts in the works.
We are seeking talented candidates for the following roles:
2020 Summer Intern (policy focus)
As a policy-focused summer intern, you will help Project Equity gain a clearer understanding of the past and current policy efforts focused on driving more employee ownership. You will do this through research, interviews and mapping of efforts, stakeholders and jurisdictions. You will help educate the Project Equity team on how to approach policy work (none of us have policy backgrounds), and help us develop a draft policy agenda.
As the Communications Manager at Project Equity, you will help provide external communications in support of our mission to advance employee ownership. You will showcase the power of employee ownership as the preferred business model to achieve the goals of business owners, employees, communities and economic development specialists. You will help to drive interest from business owners and support business development in securing new clients and channel partnerships. In this role, you will provide direction and maintain public relations, social media, and event management to benefit business owners and build long-term relationships with our multiple audiences.
Director of Operations (SF Bay Area)
As the Director of Operations, you will play a lead role in fostering a thriving workplace and learning organization that aligns with Project Equity values, mission, and strategic plan. Responsibilities include:
- Oversee financial, human resource, and administrative functioning of the organization in partnership with Multiplier, Project Equity’s umbrella organization / fiscal sponsor.
- Manage Project Equity’s human resource functions, working with Multiplier.
- Serve as lead on organizational culture and performance management
- Oversee the organization’s financial health, working closely with Multiplier
- Lead Project Equity’s organizational learning & impact measurement
- Act as office manager to support the functioning of the Oakland and remote offices
- Act as point person on technology, security, and communication.